Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DumpsterDom

For Honor: Opinions, Reviews, Ect

6 posts in this topic

So lads, the open beta's been out for a little over two days now, and me personally, I don't think I'm going to buy. It was a promising idea, but Ubisoft pretty much ruined it for me. Wont deny it's still in it's early phases of life, so it's got lots of issues to iron out, but I've had to go through many hours of troubleshooting to get this game to work, in classic Ubisoft fashion, you can't install it on a separate drive. Uplay has to be installed on your computer to even play the game even though it opens through steam, and Uplay persists even after you close the game. But just beside technical issues/annoyances, the gameplay is very one-sided most often. I understand it's a game of skill, and fighting games are supposed to be hardwired with counters, but the game just seems generally busted, Raider has this annoying ass unblockable grab and run and slam you into a fucking wall even after you dodgeroll because the hitbox is fucking huge, Peacekeeper can perform an unblockable bleed attack that does just around 25% of your health that can be performed from a sprintbreak (basically just running at you and activating the ability), and conqueror is just generally fucking busted. Not to say that it wasn't fun, me and my friends had some good hours on here, but it just doesn't seem like something I'd want to invest time into, but incase anyone can sway me into preordering, I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Peacekeeper can perform an unblockable bleed attack that does just around 25% of your health that can be performed from a sprintbreak (basically just running at you and activating the ability)

As a level 14 Peacekeeper, i can say that the "grab and stab" its actually pretty easy to counter. You have to guard break as soon as you get hit with their guard break and it staggers them. But i have to say, i love me some kidney stabbing.

4 hours ago, TheSilverSalt said:

As a level 14 Peacekeeper

Stop right there, you are the worst kind of person

As someone who has the game, and cannot refund it because someone bought a code, allow me to take a fat steaming shit all over this buggy mess of a game.

1. The balance and fighter design is absolute shit

The power levels in this 12-character fighting game are so off unbalanced they'd make an MvC2 god blush. There are numerous characters that are so poorly designed they can literally only perform one attack at a time and only after successfully defending (Lawbringer, Conquerer, etc) or risk a free counterattack/defense, and on the opposite end of the spectrum there are characters who literally attack so fast that it is actually impossible to defend against them as some characters because of your built-in block delay as that character. There are characters with near-infinite combos, free combos that deal 50%+ of most characters' HP on a SINGLE dodge or parry, and OHK attacks.

The toolkits of the characters as a whole are horrendously designed, poor fuckers like the Lawbringer are literally impossible to play against even low-mid level opponents, whereas classes like the Warden, Warlord, and Peacekeeper are the most ridiculously powerful classes in the game once mastered simply by virtue of having moves that actually work together without getting you fucking killed.

It also doesn't help that the game is so horrendously slanted towards defensive play that once you breach upper-mid levels of play, the only thing you will ever see are god-tier characters creating openings with their near-impossible (or literally impossible, if you haven't learned which directions to preblock on every matchup) to defend against opens/harassment, and waiting/baiting for parries for their free combo. The only way to counter this is learning to feint, but that only does so much when the game draws to a standstill of every loser and their uncle standing by a stage hazard waiting to parry you for the guaranteed guardbreak->throw.

Don't expect a good time once you've grown out of dicking around with newbies and friends; and this is all without even getting into how broken the awful gear stats are, how shitty multi-man fights are, how bad the collision is for mapping, how throws auto-correct their directions to where-ever they please (and can do this to put you into an animation where your opponent can recover and attack before you can move), how bad Revenge is especially in gearstat gamemodes, how shitty the Feats system is... You get my point.

2. The game itself and its support are absolute shit, especially the netcode

Ubisoft is notorious for barely managing their servers, providing little in the way of love to the mechanical sides of their games, and managing to make their newest bugxploitation film an even bigger romp than the last. For Honor, while at least semi-functional pre-launch, has a myriad of painfully unpolished bugs, especially with its matchmaking.

Multiplayer is a gamble to see whether or not you'll be allowed to play this hour, and it hasn't improved since the Technical Tests, so if it does every get fixed expect to have waited at least six months after release to see even an inkling of it; if they even bother to put in the effort to Siege's development, which started as an equally flammable oil spill of a release. Expect every attempt to get into a game to be met with at least an error or two before you're allowed into a match, all of which will kick you back to the main menu after a forced wait, break up parties, or kick you out of the rematch screen with no rewards.

The gameplay itself is riddled with enormous bugs, a few of the most prominent right now are: PeaceKeeper's bleed now... Just no longer works, at all, after the first stab. Nobushi can refresh her bleed to full through blocks, parries, and dodge/deflects, and there's nothing you can do about it if they do nothing but bleedbug and defend. Shugoki can use a camera glitch to make all of his heavy attacks and unblockables unparryable and deal over double damage.

Worst of all, the game's connection isn't just shit. It's dangerously shit.
As if the forced 110ms lag in addition to your connection wasn't shitty enough, the RTS-ripped P2P system they use not only shits bricks every time someone sneezes on their router or joins mid-match, but is entirely unsecured; meaning players can directly fuck with your machine mid-match to do shit like spike your connection or autokick you. As if counter-counter guardbreaks and being punched through your blocks wasn't bad enough, prepare for the other guy to punt you from the match when it happens to him, robbing you of any rewards or even game stats.

3. You bought an ubisoft game.

I don't want to insult the differently abled by comparing them to anyone who spends money on an Ubisoft game in this day and age, expecting a completed or functioning product, but holy fuck would you have to be trying to act special needs in order to spend 100$ on this flaming garbage to get the full product knowing their track record.

The game is horrendously unfinished: No ranked matchmaking. No tournament mode. No events. The story is 3 hours long if you 100% it, and has no conclusion. There are only 12 classes, 3 of which are still completely unchanged from their Pre-Alpha/Technical Test state. The faction war is clearly unfinished rubberbanding bullshit and just auto-loses you regions of the faction war when you reach a stronghold. Gear progression stops at Rep4 (out of 20+). There's only one 'special' costume for each class and they're made with in-game customizations.

Save yourselves 60$ or get a refund if you've already made the mistake of buying it.
If you're stuck with a purchased key like me, then hit me up sometime so I can show you my Conq airhumping skills.

2 hours ago, Jobbut said:

3. You bought an ubisoft game.

Point taken

Ye it wasn't a very good game, The story was cool but after that is was meh. Kinda regret buying it